RSC Read & Publish agreement for 2017-2018
Max Planck to publish 100% open access with the Royal Society of Chemistry in 2017 and 2018
January 04, 2017
The Max Planck Society established a new agreement with the Royal Society of Chemistry ("RSC Read & Publish") which includes access to
all RSC journals content as well as allowing authors to publish open access in subscription journals.
The RSC “Read & Publish” agreement, made for the first time, combines reading and open access publishing in one payment scheme. A pilot in nature, its aim is to gain experience to help prepare a framework for a sustainable model of open access publishing and access to RSC’s subscription journals. The Open Access agreement with Max Planck Society centrally covers the open access charge for affiliated corresponding authors in those subscription-based journals that are offering the hybrid open access option and that also have a Creative Commons Attribution license (CC-BY).
"With this new approach we shift our payments and workflows in a way to make open access the default of publishing for our researchers." says Dr Ralf Schimmer, Head of Information at the Max Planck Digital Library.
In order to make use of the agreement, authors have to meet the following conditions when publishing with RSC:
- The article has been accepted by an RSC journal that offers a CC-BY license.
- A Max Planck author must be the corresponding author of the article.
- The author is affiliated with a Max Planck Institute and publishes under this affiliation.
- The acceptance date of the article is between Jan. 1, 2017 and Dec. 31, 2018.
- The article matches one of these types: Communication, Paper, Review-type article.